With the oven still on the fritz I’ve been adapting my favorite recipes to use in the toaster oven. This summery fruity favorite works in the smaller oven because it is shallow – almost tart like. If you make your own crust you can bake it in a 9 x 9 ” pan instead of a pie plate. If you have some juicy oranges available, use the zest and juice of one orange instead of the juice in the fridge.
Toaster Oven Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- 2 Pillsbury Pie Crusts
- 2.5 cups rhubarb sliced
- 2.5 cups strawberries cored and quartered
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Preheat toaster oven to 350° F.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp. tapioca flour in a 10 inch pie plate and lay bottom crust evenly in plate.
- Toss fruit and other ingredients till mixed. Pour onto bottom crust.
- Cover with top crust, seal, cut vents as desired.
- Bake at 350° F for 50 minutes or until done.
- Cool on a wire rack, serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.
Of course you can bake this in your own oven. You would probably want to use a pie crust shield but that’s the only adaptation you would need.
Looking for a great pie crust recipe? Julia O’Malley’s Strawberry Slab Pie would work well https://www.juliaomalley.com/2020/05/22/party-with-this-strawberry-slab-pie/. She makes hers pretty with an egg wash before baking.